(This event has been cancelled)
This is a fly fishing only event for veterans where Tri-Valley Fly Fishers have the opportunity to assist FFI introduce and engage veterans with fly fishing. Numerous Bay Area fly fishing clubs will be assisting in this 10th annual event which is always very worthwhile to the veterans, and to those volunteering their time.
The lake at Shadow Cliffs will be netted off for a specific section, stocked with several hundred pounds of Rainbow Trout. This is a catch and keep event with the trout donated by Lassen Trout Hatchery. The use of the park & the netting off of the “pond” is courtesy & generosity of the East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD).
April 24, 2020
2500 Stanley Boulevard
Volunteers will be needed to help with:
- Passing out and collecting the badges (needed for getting meals – will collected at lunch time)
- Cooking, and cleaning the kitchen area
- Maintaining Safety (Keeping people from wandering into backcast area)
- Assigning and collecting rods from fly fishers
- Monitoring and moving the fly fishers allowing everyone to have an equal chance
- Providing casting instruction and helping veterans to catch fish
- Providing Fly Tying instruction
- Providing Knot Tying & leader construction lessons
Entrance to the park will be free for all veterans and those assisting FFI with their Veterans First Fly Fishing event. No equipment is necessary as all is being provided by the FFI program.
Please note that the TVFF Board of Directors has also donated $100.00 to the event to offset their expenses.
For more information please contact Daniel Kitts, 510-816-2846
Shadow Cliffs Veterans First Fly Fishing 11th Annual Event
Volunteers meet at 8:00 AM for Breakfast, orientation and assignments
9:00 AM Veterans show up
9:00 AM to 9:30 AM Veteran Breakfast – Provided by VFFF & Pleasanton Lions
9:30 AM Veteran orientation
9:45 – 12:00 Fly Fishing for Trout & Casting & Tying instruction
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch - - - - - - - Provided by VFFF
1:00 -2:00 PM or thereabout more Fly Fishing for Trout & Tying instruction
This is a fly fishing only event for veterans.
Contact: Your VA Recreational or Clinical Therapist
There will be free entrance and parking for volunteers and veterans